Bike tour from Berlin to Potsdam and back

I was out to shoot sculptures yesterday, and I caught them all – always a happy surprise. Biked west of the lakes on my way to Potsdam, and east of them on my way back.

Too many bike paths: They’re always bumpy and they often only exist for like 500 meters, after which you’ll have to cross the road and continue on the other side. On my way back it was almost tragic: The tour’s only long downhill slope (the landscape here is very flat) and the bike path so bumpy (from roots, mainly) that there were even warning signs saying it was bumpy. I find this sad! Won’t choose this route again.

[iframe http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=sv&msa=0&msid=104573036128440175131.00048a8f841ab732c1c51&ll=52.47107,13.241272&spn=0.188225,0.401688&z=11&output=embed 600 450]

View Karl’s bike tours in a larger map

Stats:

• Total time: 13:00 – 19:30 = 6,5 hours
  • Biking time: 3 hours, 37 minutes
  • Distance: 85,6 km (53,2 miles)
  • Average speed: 23,7 kph (14,7 mph)
  • Max speed: 51,0 kph (31,7 mph)

1970s sculpture.

Unexpected find at Falkenseer Platz – from 1960.

Glienicker Brücke – famous for its spy swaps during the cold war.

Under the bridge.

Schlosspark Glienicke (the rest of the photos too).

7 Responses to Bike tour from Berlin to Potsdam and back

1. kafoe August 1, 2010 at 15:59 #

I’m glad you’re documenting all these sculptures before they’re banned. Next time you’re in Gothenburg, make sure you visit the Liseberg amusement park as well. 😉

2. Karl August 1, 2010 at 16:59 #

I don’t think we need to worry about them being banned, kafoe. First step should be to move them to spots where less people can see them, but not even that is happening yet.

Ok, I realize you’re not dead serious, but the fact that I take your comment seriously says something about what we have come to expect nowadays, doesn’t it?

As for Gothenburg, I was there on May 27, 1994. Isn’t that enough? 😉

3. Winston Chmielinski August 21, 2010 at 12:33 #

Karl, how random, I google’d “Bike to Potsdam” for routing info and your blog was #4 or so. Hi, famous man! Now I’m going to follow in your tire marks

4. Karl August 21, 2010 at 12:53 #

How lovely! 🙂 But do take the route next to the Avus (A115) autobahn, it’s the best way by far. Then pack your bags! 😉

5. Kai February 28, 2011 at 22:21 #

Wow. Ich mag die Säulen auf der Wiese. Wie finde ich die und ist das viel Besucherverkehr?

6. Karl February 28, 2011 at 22:42 #

Ja, also der ganze Schlosspark Glienicke ist ziemlich schön, fast märchenhaft. Der ist gar nicht groß; die Säulen findest du also ganz einfach. Es gab nicht viele Besuchern als ich da war, ein Samstag nachmittag. Ich kann jedenfalls ein Besuch empfehlen!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks