Books I read in 2010

Amigos! It’s time for my annual summing up of books I read during the year. As you can see on the chart above (click for larger size), my new interest for Japan is reflected in my choice of books – 7 out of 17 novels have Japanese authors. I’ve also continued my research of sexualities, as can be seen in the non-fiction department, as well as read some autobiographies by interesting people – Michael Davidson’s The World, the Flesh and Myself being the most inspiring one.

I usually have one “discovery” every year, meaning one author whom I become so obsessed with that I want to read everything by him or her, someone who stays with you for a very long time. They have been Camille Paglia, Joe Keenan, Witold Gombrowicz, Tennessee Williams, Joe Orton, Plato.

This year’s discovery was Yukio Mishima, without doubt. He’s up there with Gombrowicz. I’m currently reading The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, but that one will feature on next year’s chart since I haven’t finished it yet.

Thanks dear friends for this year. I’m going out shopping for our improvised Neukölln “Silvester” dinner now. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

, ,

7 Responses to Books I read in 2010

1. Josh December 31, 2010 at 15:38 #

Was “Roman Homosexuality” any good?

2. Karl December 31, 2010 at 16:59 #

It was very academic, in the sense that the point is made pretty early (and clearly) in each chapter, and the rest is a bit for reference, with lengthy quotes etc that prove the point over and over. So you got to speed read sometimes.

The main point of the book is that almost every orifice, be it in a woman, a boy or a slave, was fair trade for the free man, as long as he played the active part.

Williams also explains very good the differences between the Greek and the Roman culture.

And he begins with explaining that he doesn’t really mean “homosexuality” by “homosexuality”, but that he chooses to use the word nevertheless. A sympathetic notion, according to me.

I found it very good. It’s a natural follow-up of Dover’s classic Greek Homosexuality, which you should begin with if you haven’t read it. (Dover’s is basically the only work one needs to read about “homosexuality” in ancient Greece, and Patzer of course: Die griechische Knabenliebe.)

PS: Guess how many minutes I stood in line at Kaiser’s (my grocery shop) just now – the one who comes closest gets a hug!

3. erik December 31, 2010 at 19:55 #

selection of my reading list

the postman always rings twice (james cain)

the immoralist

journal of an innocent (duvert)

the makioka sisters (tanizaki)

the bloody chamber (angela carter)

giovanni’s room

schijnbewegingen (Dutch trilogy about a gay teenager working as a male prostitute in Victorian London, during the Wilde trials, the books are written especially for teenagers)

the garden party (mansfield)

the tender prey (paul bowles)

lizard (banana yoshitomo)

some books of Dutch journalists living in the Middle East

and tolstoi’s anna karenina

best wishes for 2011!

4. Karl December 31, 2010 at 20:19 #

So how did you like The Immoralist? 😉

I read Lizard too btw, some years ago.

5. Josh December 31, 2010 at 20:35 #

@Karl
    I guess you could call it homosexuality if we would have been using the word for just that: sexuality. Wouldn’t that make sense? Homosexuality when it’s about males doing males and homophilia when it’s actually about love, relationships etc?

My worst was ~20 minutes in a REWE on a normal Sunday :s

@Erik
    I read the first part of schijnbewegingen (It’s called “Ich, Adrian Mayfield” in German) and liked it but I heard the second part isn’t as good?

I love how the author refused to authorise an English translation because they wanted to censor the naughty scenes 😀 On the other hand ‘tho I would like to get an English version to let some friends read it. Oh well.

6. Karl January 1, 2011 at 06:35 #

Yes, Josh, that is sort of what he means.

As for me, I stood 50 minutes in line at Kaiser’s. Fiiiif-tyyyy!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Books I read in 2011 : Karl Andersson - January 9, 2012

[…] included 2010′s graph above for comparison. (Read the 2010 post here.) Tweet Category: English, PersonalTags: books, reading chart, reading […]