Spending an hour or two in the hotel room reading this card game manga before we’re heading out for a day trip.
It seems the structure of the chapters is similar to that of Usotsuki Gokuoh-kun; there’s always a sudden crescendo, in this case a card game fight, where the everyday setting disappears and gives way to supernatural effects. Probably the standard recipe for boys’ manga.
衆 (しゅう) masses?
扉 (とびら) door?
はぐる to get lost
無礼者 (ぶれいしゃ) rude people (lit. man without thanks)
慎む (つつしむ) to abstain from
求道者 (きゅうどうしゃ) investigator
破壊 (はかい) する to destroy
称号 (しょうごう) title?
任されし者 (まかされしもの) person in charge?
知恵 (ちえ) wisdom
捨てる to throw away
In the series of how Tokyo might change until the 2020 Olympics, here’s from Tokyo Reporter:
“Throughout Tokyo, reports Shukan Jitsuwa (Apr. 10), a purification drive of the city’s red-light areas is expanding, with the latest blow arriving in Chiyoda Ward’s Akihabara area, where law enforcement is attempting to thwart child prostitution.
Starting on April 1, businesses throughout Chiyoda Ward will be prohibited from promoting the service utilized by men known as ‘joshi kosei osanpo,’ or a walking date with a high school girl.”
… “‘During the walk, the customer can then negotiate enjo kosai’ — meaning compensated dating, which is a euphemism for a trip to love hotel.”
I’ll collect little snippets like this one and see what pattern emerges if any. From now on they’re filed under the tag Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Nice magazine design by the way.
Week 15 = 7-13 April 2014
- Read chapter 4 in ウソツキ！ゴクオーくん
- Memrise: 10,003 (N3 kanji)
- A bit of talking Saturday night (but not so much)
- Hunter x Hunter, episode 99-104
- Yowamushi Pedal, episode 26
- Ranma ½, episode 45-46
- Initial D, episode 2 (raw)
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 12 = finished. Didn’t really like this black humor gag anime about an unpopular girl with an extremely low self esteem. There was no development to the better. It made me a bit depressed.
- Lilyhammer 2, episode 4
CSS3 – the missing manual:
- Chapter 4 (p. 93-102): Saving Time with Style Inheritance
- Chapter 5 (p. 103-124): Managing Multiple Styles: The Cascade
= finished Part 1: CSS Basics
- Maas will Nacktbilder-Handel umfassend verbieten
- Maas will Gefängnisstrafe für Kinderporno-Händler
- Kinderpornografie: Kritik an geplanter Gesetzesverschärfung
- Blockering av internet – 2000-talets bokbål
- More people were paid to exploit Heartbleed for the NSA than to fix it
- This Japanese toilet should make Americans very worried
- Monday: Tempelhof x 8 (50 km)
- Saturday: Tempelhof x 10 (64 km)
Chapter 4: Tenko in hell
Tenko asks Gokuoh why he has taken her with him to hell. He says that it’s because she has found out his true identity, which apparently is that he is the Lord of Hell.
- 正体 identity
- むりやり by force
- 「丁寧（ていねい）に扱え（あつかえ）よ」 handle with care/treat her carefully/say hello politely (?)
While Gokuoh was on earth, his job in hell has piled up. His job is to judge souls.
- 裁く（さばく）to judge
- 裁き judgement
He has written down a list of all their wrongdoings during lifetime.
- 悪行（あくぎょう）wrongdoing (also: 悪事 = wrong, wrong thing)
- 記す（しるす）to note, write down
- （お）見通し（みとおし）(your) outlook/prospect/forecast
- 生前（せいぜん）in life/during lifetime
The first soul belongs to a thief. Gokuoh sentences him to five thousand years of torture in hell. Next!
- 盗る（とる）to take/steal
- 火責め（ひぜめ）＝ 火を使ってする拷問（ごうもん）fire torture
- ビシバシ without mercy?
One soul is temporarily changed into human form. It’s a thief who claims to only have committed shoplifting in a candy shop.
- 一時的 temporary
- 肉体 body
- 禊（みそぎ）purification ceremony (?)
- 宝石店（ほうせきてん）jewelry store
- 駄菓子屋（だかしや）candy store
But Gokuoh produces a magic mirror which lets us see exactly what was going on in that candy store five years ago when the thief claimed to have shoplifted a candy bar. It turns out the thief had an ulterior motive.
- 魂胆（こんたん）ulterior motive
The mirror shows that what the thief really stole were two lottery tickets worth 400 million yen!
- 億（おく）hundred million
Gokuoh looks up the crime in the table for sentences. It says that the sentence for thefts above a hundred million yen is eternal hell. (What a nice children’s book this is.)
- 無限（むげん）infinite, eternal, without limits
- 苦しみ suffering
- 千倍（せんばい）a thousand times
But the thief protests and says that he’s a “clock maniac” and that what he actually stole was the table clock that the lottery tickets were hidden under. He argues for a less serious punishment than eternal torture in hell.
Gokuoh uses the magic mirror again and zooms in on the tickets. They turn out to be discount coupons for ramen noodles.
- 拡大（かくだい）enlargement, magnification
- 割引券（わりびきけん）discount coupon
You’re lying! Gokuoh exclaims while summoning his Lord of Hell persona. The thief makes an attempt to take Tenko hostage, but is crushed under the foot of Catcrow/Nekokarasu, who in hell is a three-headed wolf.
- 人質 hostage
The lord of hell grabs the thief’s tongue with his iron claw (as we’ve seen in previous chapters) and swings him around. He adds an attack called 1000 needles, in which he sends a thousand needles into the thief’s mouth. The impact is so strong that the thief falls backward into the entrance of – eternal hell!
- 堕ちる、落ちる to fall (how to they differ?)
- 結局（けっきょく）after all
- 信用（しんよう）credit, belief, faith
Then Gokuoh turns to Tenko and says that since she now knows his secret (that he is the Lord of Hell), he will have to silence her forever by erasing her memories.
- 記憶（きおく）memories, storage
He asks her repeatedly if she didn’t think it was scary and if she regrets joining him to hell, and when she refuses to say that it was scary, he calls her a liar and extends his iron claw towards her. Tenko starts crying.
- 後悔（こうかい）する to regret
- 二度と…ない never again
- 一方的（いっぽうてき）unilateral (?)
Then they leave hell. “What about the silencing me forever thing?” Tenko asks. “Oh, that was just a lie!” Gokuoh replies. Which sends Tenko crying again.
I like this manga, but what surprised me in this chapter was that Gokuoh didn’t produce any proofs that the thief was lying. I think that was unnecessarily cruel, but at the same time it shapes his character I guess.
This chapter took about 2 hours to read.