Ethnographic Film, Unit 1 continued: Robert Flaherty
- Heider, Karl G, 1976: Ethnographic Film.
- Chapter 1: “Introduction”, p. 3-15.
- Chapter 2: “A History of Ethnographic Film”, p. 16-27.
- Related video: Grass: A Nation’s Battle for Life. Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack, 1925. (The two made King Kong in 1933.)
Anthropology and Photography
- Christopher Pinney: Notes from the Surface of the Image. Photography, Postcolonialism, and Vernacular Modernism. 19 p.
- Karen Strassler: Refracted Visions. Popular Photography and National Modernity in Java. Chapter 3 and Epilogue, 48 p.
- Christopher Wright: Supple Bodies: The Papua New Guinea Photographs of Captain Francis R. Barton, 1899–1907. 24 p.
- R. Taggart Murphy: Japan and the Shackles of the Past (2016). Extremely initiated! Provides the details as well as the bigger picture – of history, politics, and economics. Very critical of the Abe administration as well as the US occupation of Japan. Obviously took a while to read, but I finished it this week.
- The Economist: Errol Morris’s new film takes aim at Steve Bannon—and misses
- Vox: In Fahrenheit 11/9, Michael Moore spares no one — especially self-satisfied liberals
- The Economist: Nike’s controversial new ad
- Vox: Why the social media boycott over Colin Kaepernick is a win for Nike
- The Economist: The global smartphone supply chain needs an upgrade
- The Economist: How social-media platforms dispense justice
- The Economist: India unbans gay sex
- The Economist: Naked Europe covers up
- The Economist: Immigration worries loom over Sweden’s election campaign
- The Economist: Sweden’s anti-immigrant populists prepare for big gains
- The Economist: Why Sweden’s election promises to change the country
- The Economist: A court in Myanmar jails two reporters for breaking a secrecy law
- The Economist: Suu Kyi keeps quiet as reporters are jailed on trumped-up charges
- Medium/Lance Ulanoff: Apple’s iPhone Event Signals a Design Inflection Point
Film & TV
- Richard Gardt & Göran Uhlin, 2018: A Swedish Elephant
- SVT, 2010: Våra vänners liv. Binge-watched the full series, 10 one-hour episodes.
- SVT, live: Valvaka (election night).