On Tuesday we discussed my rough cut in class and it was extremely useful. Will have to change quite a bit. Important parts. Really enjoyed it.
Tonight I finished the outline of my thesis. It feels a bit uninspired but I’ll have to take a step back and look at it again. It’s at least good enough to send to my supervisor. Maybe he can point me in the right direction – I guess that’s his job.
I’m very focused on kanji – the power of continuing feels exhilarating at the moment! I’m at 2,100 in RTK edition 6 now – only 100 kanji to go! Plus the 150 that were lost on the way in the flashcards deck – I’m only at 1,950 there and that’s the one that counts since I don’t remember any kanji outside the deck.
SRS’s are so amazing! Can’t believe I’ve never used them before outside proprietary versions such as Iknow and Memrise. I’ll do the switch from Flashcards Deluxe to Anki though.
I’m watching and listening to a lot of MIA and AJATT for inspiration – I’m a bit infatuated with Khatzumoto (but then who isn’t). The input hypothesis for language acquisition. I had never thought about it let be tried it, despite having learned several languages, but it seems to make sense. Output is overrated. The focus with which these mostly young men tackle language studies reminds of an extreme sport, discussing the best techniques and publishing beautiful statistics. Almost like the world of road cyclists using Strava and Veloviewer.
We watched the docking of Dragon into ISS live! Which propelled me into a Wikipedia orbit of the American space shuttle programme, its disasters and eventual discontinuation in 2011. S told me we do this kind of procrastination because of stress.
- Remembering the Kanji: Kanji 1876–2100
- Flashcards Deluxe: 106 min/day
- Radio: FM Haro in the mornings
- Francine Prose/The Guardian: What the arrest of a black CNN journalist on air taught us
- Cnet: Breathe deep: How the ISS keeps astronauts alive
15th German (Göttingen) International Ethnographic Film Festival (GIEFF) – online
- Murghab (Martin Saxer, Daler Kaziev, Marlen Elders, Switzerland/Germany/Tajikistan, 2019, 81 min)
- Khatzumoto unlisted:
- 【Full Ver.】AJATT Khatzumoto is BACK!? Taking about WHY he was away from internet ! And BOOK review!
- Q&A: Khatz do you consider yourself to be native-level at Japanese?
- 【AJATT】How To Buy Books Like a Trillionaire Without Being a Trillionaire
- 【AJATT】Thucydides Traps Aren’t Pretty Girls
- [Video] [Raw] [Unedited] [NoFilter] Happiness, Gamification, Analog Thoughts and Digital Actions
- Everybody Who Uses Frequency Lists Is….
- Some Secret Deadly Kung-Fu Ninja and Other Stereotypically East Asian Thing Immersion Techniques
- Tkyosam (interviews with Khatzumoto):
- Matt vs Japan: Matt’s AJATT Journey + Complete AJATT Guide (3 hours!)
- Brit vs Japan: English Guy Speaking Japanese
- CinemaShowFilms: True Otaku: The Documentary (Part 1 of 3) (cringe!)
- tantinoburatino: Delivery (bike messenger short)
- Marques Brownlee: Escobar Responds! A PSA
- CNN: Police arrest CNN correspondent Omar Jimenez and crew on live television