First of all, the weeks pass incredibly fast. It feels like it’s always Sunday again and I’m wrapping up another one of these weekly study diary posts.
Again, I didn’t read all texts for Digital Anthropology Unit 6 on Thursday, despite interesting subjects. The presentation of the SD card article was so interesting that I read the text afterwards though. And I suppose I will get back to the other ones as well. Apparently the purpose with Unit 6 was to see how the authors wrap their findings in an appropriate theory, sort of. And that was super interesting, since I had some criticism regarding that for one of the texts, which I vented in class.
And we had another class in Qualitative Methods on Wednesday that demanded some fast reading due to confusion (not just me) about dates.
Ethnographic Film Unit 6 on Tuesday was on Jean Rouch part 1.
I’ve read up on internet celebrities during the week and started putting together my presentation this weekend. I will present on Thursday next week, so I’m quite focused on that now.
What more? I bought a Nintendo Switch and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! Plus tried out streaming my first game of Paladins to Twitch:
- Kohler Riessman, C. (2008): Chapter 2: Constructing Narratives for Inquiry. In Narrative Methods for the Human Sciences, pp. 21-51.
- Kohler Riessman, C. (2008): Chapter 3: Thematic Analysis. Ibid, pp. 53-77.
- Related video: Rethinking Wellbeing – Professor Catherine Kohler Riessman. (Summary: On applied linguistics in health; “narrative research that looks at language”, as opposed to grounded theory and qualitative research in general, which generally focuses more on the themes that can be found behind the language, they want to look through the language.)
Ethnographic Film Unit 6
- Russell, Catherine (1999): Ecstatic Ethnography: Filming Possession Rituals. In Experimental Ethnography, pp.193-237. (Continued with the two last sections: Bill Viola: Existentialism, Technology, and the Other and Group Fantasies and Simulated Subjectivites = 229-237. Still haven’t read the sections on Mead and Deren = 199-218.)
Digital Anthropology Unit 6
Mobile Media Practices: Texts, Technologies and Online Subjectivities on
- Choy, Christine Hiu Ying (2018): Smartphone apps as cosituated closets: A lesbian app, public/private spaces, mobile intimacy, and collapsing contexts. In Mobile Media & Communication 6, no. 1, pp. 88-107.
- Ong, Jonathan Corpus (2017): Queer cosmopolitanism in the disaster zone: ‘My Grindr became the United Nations’. In International Communication Gazette 79, no. 6-7, pp. 656-673.
- Melendrez Castañeda, Jan Gabriel (2015): Grindring the self: Young Filipino gay men’s exploration of sexual identity through a geo-social networking application. In Philippine Journal of Psychology 48, no. 1, pp. 29-58.
- Hobbis, Geoffrey (2017): The MicroSDs of Solomon Islands. An Offline Remittance Economy of Digital Multi-Media. In Digital Culture & Society 3, no. 2, pp. 77-98.
Digital Anthropology Unit 7
Online Celebrities: Social media as a marketing tool.
- Abidin, Crystal (2018): Chapter 3: Internet celebrity and traditional media, Chapter 4: From internet celebrities to influencers and Postface. In Internet Celebrity. Understanding Fame Online. Pp. 37-100.
- Video: Cultures of Internet Celebrity On Youtube – Crystal Abidin
- Related article (The Verge): The Bow Wow challenge is a hilarious reminder that everyone lies on social media
- Anthropology News: Erasing Polish Anthropology?
- The Economist: Vice without virtue: The biggest brand in digital media has lost much of its lustre
- The Economist: Can Huawei survive an onslaught of bans and restrictions abroad?
- The Economist: Michael Cohen was sentenced to prison for things he did for his boss
- Esquire/Charles P. Pierce: ‘We’ Did Not Miss the Rise of Right-Wing Extremism. You Did. (I feel so extremely disconnected to this whole discourse. I didn’t get this article at all, but kept on reading till the end.)
- Paul Graham (2009): Maker’s Schedule, Manager’s Schedule
- Tubefilter: YouTube’s Own ‘Rewind 2018’ Becomes Most-Disliked Video Ever In Less Than A Week
- Teen Vogue: BTS Just Broke a YouTube Record Previously Held by Taylor Swift
- Sankaku Complex: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Pre-Sells Wonderfully
- Dagens Juridik: “Alla bilder på nakna barn kan inte vara kriminella” – men djupt oenig hovrätt fäller för barnporr
- Techworld: Webbens viktigaste säkerhetsprotokoll uppgraderat – här är nyheterna i TLS 1.3